The purpose of these maps is to guide quality professionals and project leaders to access the most appropriate improvement tools quickly and effectively. These tools are used widely to provide solutions to industrial and commercial problems and drive continuous improvement. Each map is divided into nine categories in which the tools are located. These categories are:
- Planning and project management.
- Designing and analyzing processes.
- Creating ideas.
- Data collection.
- Understanding performance.
- Understanding cause and effect.
- Selecting and decision making.
- Identifying and implementing solutions.
- Managing risk.